Today I wanted to write about the blessing of sleep. A good night’s sleep is a real blessing and sometimes hard to come by. You don’t realize how important it is until you don’t have it. Trying to function on little sleep and rest can be a real challenge.
I remember many nights when Ian was a baby that I got very little sleep. I had that new mommy fog of sleep deprivation. Now, he sleeps fine — most nights. But, I still have trouble sometimes.
Last night, I was awake at 5 a.m. after going to bed at 11 p.m. I had too much on my mind. I am concerned about some friends and family who are dealing with sickness, major illnesses, and other traumatic events. I was awake thinking of them and stopped to pray. That helped calm me down. Nearly 45 minutes later, I was back asleep. But then by 6:20 a.m., the alarm was going off. Arg, not nearly enough sleep for me.
I am also losing sleep since there is still much to do between now and Christmas. But, I have to take it a day at a time and have Ian and Kirk help me. I know that they can. We have everything purchased and home. Now we just have to finish the cards and mail them, finish making and baking a few things, and wrap the gifts.
This time of year is fun but can also be overwhelming. I am hoping and praying that I get plenty of time to rest and get enough sleep. I will certainly do my best. Hope you can as well.
Today I am tired and probably will be all day. Thankfully, Ian just has one more day of school before Christmas break! Then we’ll have a few weeks off. That will be nice. Since I work at home, I can do my work and have time to rest and have fun.
Here are a few quotes about sleep:
- “If you can’t sleep, then get up and do something instead of lying there worrying. It’s the worry that gets you, not the lack of sleep.” ~ Dale Carnegie
- “No day is so bad it can’t be fixed with a nap.” ~ Carrie Snow
- “People who say they sleep like a baby usually don’t have one.” ~ Leo J. Burke
- “A ruffled mind makes a restless pillow.” ~ Charlotte Brontë
- “A good laugh and a long sleep are the best cures in the doctor’s book.” ~ Irish Proverb
I wonder if I will be able to have a good night’s sleep tonight? I sure hope so since I do need it.