Hi and Happy Sunday! Today, September 22, is the first day of fall. I heard on Good Morning America that it officially starts at 4:44 p.m. I always thought it started in the morning but apparently not.
Don’t get me wrong, I love the summer and all of the fun we had. Summer is special in its own way, but fall is my favorite of the four seasons.
In the summer, I love to be in San Diego, California, especially July. For several years we did just that and it was fantastic. So many wonderful memories, beautiful scenery, and fun people to be with.
But, the fall in Tennessee and North Carolina cannot be beaten. This photo I took last fall – actually in mid-October while in Flat Rock, North Carolina. Isn’t it beautiful? I love the brilliant color of the leaves.
There are so many things that I love about the fall, also called autumn. Where do I start?
- First of all, I got married in the fall and we had a lovely wedding. And, my son was born in the fall as well. Actually both were in October. Getting to celebrate with my two guys is the best!
- Fall is also the time of my parents’ birthdays and two of my nephews, several cousins, and some other dear friends and family as well.
- Fall is a time for gorgeous yellows, reds, and oranges. It is the time for pumpkins and dressing up for Halloween.
- Fall is the time of screaming fans at a football game, listening to the marching band at halftime, watching the World Series on the television and cheering like crazy.
- Fall is the time of pumpkin spice creamer and lattes, cinnamon and nutmeg, and lots of candy.
- Fall is the time of wearing sweaters, the brisk air, and the changing of the trees. It is also the time of hot chocolate, hot cider, and all things pumpkin.
I love eating my mother’s pumpkin bread with a slice of sharp cheddar cheese and a cold glass of milk. YUMMY. This truly is a treat for me. I also love the fall since Silk Nog is sold this time of year. I am allergic to eggs so this works for baking at this time of year.
Fall is the time of crunchy leaves and brisk walks. It is the time of trick or treat, and back to school. And, the time of fall breaks, a pot of chili, sitting under a blanket reading a good book, and enjoying being inside together.
Next week, Ian will go on his first field trip – called field study. I am hoping to be able to go. The trip is to a pumpkin, fruit and berry patch. It will include a hayride, getting a pumpkin, a corn maze, time to eat lunch, and many other fun activities. Isn’t that fun? And, so perfect for fall.
A few quotes about fall/autumn:
- “The foliage has been losing its freshness through the month of August, and here and there a yellow leaf shows itself like the first gray hair amidst the locks of a beauty who has seen one season too many…. September is dressing herself in showy dahlias and splendid marigolds and starry zinnias. October, the extravagant sister, has ordered an immense amount of the most gorgeous forest tapestry for her grand reception.” ~Oliver Wendell Holmes
- “Oh how we love pumpkin season. You did know this gourd-ish squash has its own season, right? Winter, Spring, Summer, Pumpkin…. We anxiously anticipate it every year.” – Trader Joe’s Fearless Flyer
- “Autumn carries more gold in its pocket than all the other seasons.” ~Jim Bishop
I wonder what fun and amazing things this fall will bring? I cannot wait to find out and see, touch, hear, taste, and smell this amazing season.