“Sing. Sing out loud. Sing out strong. Sing of happy not sad. Sing of good things not bad.”
This song, which was performed by The Carpenters, is one that celebrates singing. Clearly you don’t always hear happy songs but I must say those are my favorites.
I love to sing! How much more clearly than that can I say it?
Here are lines from a few songs that also came to mind:
“I’ve got the music in me.” “Twinkle, twinkle little star.” “The hills are alive with the sound of music.” “I’m singing in the rain.” “Rolling in the deep.” “Just you and I.” “Tommy used to work on the docks.”
From classical music, to musicals, to country songs, to lullabies, to rock songs, to pop music, to dance music, to music from the 80s, I love it all. And, I love to sing.
How about you? Are there are a few songs that you know every word to? Those you sing in the shower or while driving in your car?
My sister has asked before, why can’t we just break into song when we want to? Good question. It would be nice to be able to do just that.
For as long as I can remember, I have been singing. I sang songs at Vacation Bible School, in junior high choir, high school chorus, high school show choir, and college women’s choir, as well as at Camp Fire day camp. I also sang in the church choir for a long time and must say I miss it. I really need to get back to that again.
And, one of my favorite memories from growing up was our family sing-alongs. When we were in San Diego, we would gather around the piano at my grandparents’ home and sing the family’s favorite camp songs, church songs, show tunes, and we’d always end with Brigadoon. My aunt could play just about anything on the piano so it was a joy for me and the other family members.
When I got married, I said that I wanted Brigadoon during the pre-wedding music. And, you know what really made it special, my aunt was there to play it on the piano. It brings me to happy tears just thinking about it.
Another wonderful memory was getting to sing “Handel’s Messiah” twice in my life — once while in college and the second time with a dear friend at Midnight Mass. My favorite song from that movement is the Hallelujah Chorus. I sang soprano but have since switched to second soprano since my voice has changed. This song is gorgeous with a full orchestra.
I have some other definite favorites, as I am sure that we all do. And, I like a huge variety of music. In December 2011, I wrote two blogs about Christmas songs that I really like. Please check them out.
Now here is a small listing of some of my favorites:
- Friends Forever — we sang this in chorus or show choir – I can’t remember which one since it’s been a while.
- God Bless the USA – we sang this in show choir and I have a friend who got to sing this in a duet with Lee Greenwood
- Edelweiss — from the Sound of Music (my all-time favorite musical) Several years ago, my husband and I got to meet four of the grandchildren of the real Von Trapp family. The three girls and a boy performed an amazing concert and sang this song. It was gorgeous.
- My Favorite Things — also from Sound of Music.
- How Great Thou Art – a gorgeous hymn
- Livin’ on a Prayer by Bon Jovi. A friend of mine and I went to see them in concert in the mid 1980s and they were great.
- It’s My Life also by Bon Jovi — they’ve still got it.
- I’m Going Home by Daughtry
- You’re The One That I Want — from Grease — another favorite musical!
- On The Edge of Glory by Lady Gaga — I heard her explanation about this song and learned to like it even more
- I Want to Dance with Somebody by Whitney Houston. This song is great to sing and dance to.
- On the Streets With No Name — by U2. This song always make me happy and this band is still one of my favorites. They too have still got it!
- Stayin’ Alive by the Bee Gees. This song makes me want to sing and dance as so many of their other songs do.
- Beat It by Michael Jackson – his albums in the 80s were the best.
Those are just a few titles of my eclectic list of songs that I love to sing along with. I could spend all day on my favorites since there are so many. And, I may do a followup list another day when I can think of more song titles.
What are some of your favorites? Please share them with me and the other readers.
Hope you have a great day. And Keep Singing!