Today’s Photo-A-Day Challenge is Best. This is one of the best sunset pictures that I took two summers ago at the beach. I love the colors, the ocean, the sand, and the reflection. Standing at this beach is one of my favorite places to watch a sunset. I have probably taken hundreds, if not thousands, of photos there over my lifetime. To me, it is the best place for a sunset.
Merriam-Webster’s online dictionary defines best as “better than all others in quality or value” and “most skillful, talented, or successful.” With that kind of definition, it means a lot be called the Best. The Best in Show, Best Actress, Best Picture, Best Director, the Best recipe in a contest, a Best friend, my Sunday best, etc. All of these titles are honors.
Last night, one of the best players in major league baseball played his last home game. After a 20-year career, Derek Jeter finished an amazing game. He will be missed by Yankee fans and all baseball fans. It was refreshing to see his long-term loyalty to his team and his city. The amazing Cal Ripkin and Tony Gwynn were also loyal to their teams for many years and the best at their game.
My favorite sport is baseball and my favorite team is the San Diego Padres. Tony Gwynn was Mr. Padre for many years. When he died earlier this year, it was very sad for baseball and that fine city. He truly will be missed and was the best.
The best is also something my family discusses regularly. Each morning, I talk with Ian about doing his best at school and in all that he does. I think that although he may make mistakes, it is still important for him to keeping trying and working hard. As he is getting older, he seems to understand that more and more.
Ian joined Cub Scouts this year and is loving it. Their motto, which he has learned, is “Do Your Best.” Great advice for the boys to hear and learn more about. I also like that they learn about the importance of hard work, teamwork, and participation. Our den and pack have been amazing blessings for us this year.
Here are a few quotes about Best:
- “The best way to find yourself is lose yourself in the service of others.” — Mahatma Gandhi
- “In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.” — Theodore Roosevelt
- “The best way to find out if you can trust somebody is to trust them.” — Ernest Hemingway
- “Do what you love and give it your very best. Whether it’s baseball or business, or the theater, or any field. If you don’t love what you’re doing and you can’t give it your best, get out of it. Life is too short. You’ll be an old man before you know it.” — Al Lopez
- “I do the very best I know how — the best I can; and I mean to keep it up to the very end.” — Abraham Lincoln
- “The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer someone else up.” — Mark Twain
May we do our best today and try our hardest! Have a wonderful Friday!