On your mark, get set, GO!!!!
At a recent Writing Seminar dinner, the keynote speaker asked us who our favorite imaginary friend is. This is a great question and certainly lends itself to some great answers. Many people responded with characters that we all heard about growing up.
I have two answers for this question — the girl in The Secret Garden whose name I still can’t remember, and Willie, the sweet elf in my grandfather’s stories.
As my regular readers know, Willie was always on a quest to find out where rainbows come from. Inevitably, he’d get into trouble and need his friends to help him. They were always there for him.
Looking back as an adult on this story that my grandpa created, I think he had some great life lessons to teach us — being real friends, setting and sticking to your goals, being kind to others, and mainly perseverance.
For my real friends, I am fortunate to have quite a few. Some of them I have known for many, many years. Even though we don’t see each other much, we often pick up right where we left off. That is a blessing. And, I have some newer friends who I have clicked with and am so thankful for them as well.
This photo is of a few years ago of Ian with two of his stuffed friends. He has quite a collection of them. And, he, too is making real friends. For that, Kirk and I are very grateful.
1. Write for 5 minutes flat – no editing, no over thinking, no backtracking.
2. Link back here and invite others to join in.
3. And then absolutely, no ifs, ands or buts about it, you need to visit the person who linked up before you & encourage them in their comments. Seriously. That is, like, the rule. And the fun. And the heart of this community…
Here are a few quotes on friendship that I looked up after my time was up:
- “A friend loveth at all times.” — Proverbs 17:17
- “A friend is one of the nicest things you can have, and one of the best things you can be.” — Douglas Pagels
- “Only your real friends will tell you when your face is dirty.” — Sicilian Proverb
- “Friendship isn’t a big thing — it’s a million little things.” — Author Unknown
- “The friend is the man who knows all about you, and still likes you.” — Elbert Hubbard
To read more thoughts on Friend from the Five Minute Friday community, please see http://lisajobaker.com/2014/04/five-minute-friday-friend-2/