I love to sing along. One line that I like is “Because I’m Happy. Clap along if you feel like a room without a roof.” I don’t know exactly what he means by that but I like the image.
At our family beach house, the front porch is our room without a roof and one of my favorite places to be. Look to the left and you see the ocean, to the right, you see the bay – beyond houses and a busy road, but you can still see it.
At this beach cottage, this front porch room has held many breakfasts, lunches, and dinners, parties, playtimes, and much more. Sandy feet, chairs, books, toys, sunscreen, hats, and buckets and pails are just a few of the things that have been placed on this porch.
In the morning, grabbing a hot cup of coffee, toast, and the newspaper, this porch is the best place to be. And, after a day at the beach, newly scrubbed and cleaned, we sit down, pray, and enjoy a dinner together. I have many fond memories with this location being an integral part.
The table and benches match the house perfectly and add to the fun of the space. A family friend built them for us and they have been used for many, many years. In fact, everyone who has been to this house over the years has more than likely eaten on this porch.
When Ian was little, and he stood at the fence, his head didn’t make it above the top. Now, he stands well above it and can see beyond the porch to all that is around him.
A few memories of the cottage porch:
- Reading the newspaper and eating breakfast with my parents
- Putting together a puzzle with Ian
- Wiping sand on the mat before going in the house
- Slathering sunscreen all over Ian before going to the beach
- Listening to my aunt play the piano during family singalongs
- Holding hands and praying before eating fish tacos, quesadillas, and refried beans from a local taco shop
- Talking with the wonderful man who built the table and bench
- Chatting over dessert with my grandparents
- Playing cards with the family after dark
- Shooting the breeze with neighborhood friends
- Sitting outside after the children have gone to bed
- Posing for numerous family photos with my siblings, cousins, and other family members
- Hugging loved ones when it is time to say goodbye
I wonder when the next time will be that I am in my “room without a roof?” I don’t know but hope that it will be soon.