This is one of my favorite photos of the two of us from my wedding to Kirk. We were about to walk down the aisle. I love how he is looking at me.
On the 23rd of October 1998, we had our wedding rehearsal and rehearsal dinner. At the dinner, we served a cake that said “Father of the Bride” in frosting. The cake was delicious and Dad appreciated it very much. Then on Dad’s birthday, he was there as I took my vows and became a married woman. It has always been an honor to share his special day with him. Happy Birthday to you dear Dad! We love you!
I have learned so much from my dad and so appreciate the influence he has been in my life and now Ian’s life. Dad, Kirk and I thank you for that. He loves his family passionately and unconditionally. He is an amazing example of the love of a spouse, a parent, and now a grandparent.
He has always been interested in my thoughts and activities as well as those of my brother and sister. For years I took that for granted. Then a friend of mine from college helped me see how rare it is. I am truly grateful for all that he is. When Dad is with us, he is truly there and listening and engaged in our life.
Some of the things I have learned from my dad are:
- To work hard
- That a college education is very important
- To manage money
- To make time to play
- To be sure to say I love you
- To enjoy ice cream and cookies
- To take vacations
- To spend time with family and friends
- To volunteer for a cause that moves you
- To play in the floor with children
- To read, read, read
- The importance of lifelong friendships
- To learn about new things
- To be aware of current events
- To be true to your word
- To have faith, honor, and integrity
- To rest my eyes
- To be loyal to a team even in the losing seasons
- To take time to enjoy the little things
- To enjoy time with a child
- To stay active
- To learn new things
- To get your hands dirty
- To enjoy the outdoors
- To have fun with a dog
I love my dad and all that he has done for me and all that he has taught me. He truly is an amazing man.
To you Dad, I love you and always will. It is my honor to share your birthday with you! We love you and look forward to your party.