Hi there! I decided that December might be a good time to do a 30-day writing challenge. I am going to try to write a little something each day or at least every other. We’ll see how it goes.
Today’s challenge is Ten interesting facts about yourself. Here are 10 items about me.
- I love to celebrate birthdays — both my own and others. We have a silly tradition in my family of reversing the numbers of our age. This always makes for fun and memorable photos. My family has always gathered for everyone’s birthday and made a big deal out of them. It is great that we are together celebrating one another. We all have our day to feel extra special and celebrated.
- I love my husband and our son with all of my being. They are the two people I love to be with more than anyone. They make me laugh, they support me and help when things get rough, and are so very precious to me. Both of them are real and true gifts who I learn from each day. With them, I give and receive unconditional love. Who could ask for more?
- I chose my college partly due to the ability of the cafeteria being able to provide food for me. It was a great school that I truly enjoyed but this was a definite deciding factor. At the time I was allergic to wheat, soy, peanuts, and chocolate. Needless to say, that made for a very limited menu. When we had meat, my friends knew if it was real or not if I was able to eat it. I was the gauge and guinea pig. It also had a great journalism department that I loved.
- I now have other food allergies that are very odd and hard to manage, especially at this time of the year. My list includes: eggs, sweet potatoes, walnuts, apples, cinnamon, peas, carrots, watermelon, and celery. I almost always forget one and think I have again. Have you ever heard of some of these allergies? I hadn’t before I got this list. Some of these foods are really good for you and I am bummed that I can’t eat them every day. The good thing is that I don’t have an instant reaction. So, when I have been good, I can have an item or two. I just have to be careful.
- I love my time with girl friends. On an average of once a month, I go to a Girls Night Out dinner. This is with a group of friends from high school. These gals are great and always so much fun. The group seems to change each time but whoever gathers has a great time. We chat, we drink and eat, and we laugh. I love this time together. Being around guys most of the time helps me enjoy this girl time even more.
- I love the theater. While in junior high and high school, I was active in the local community theater which had both a junior playhouse and playhouse. We did some great shows and had a blast. We just recently saw a friend from those days. It was fun to reminisce and discuss our shows. Plays and musicals were such fun at this theater. I was also in the drama club in high school.
- I enjoy watching soap operas. In 1994, Mom and I toured the Days of Our Lives studio during a trip to California. It was such fun to meet many of our favorite actors, see them film scenes, and talk with us. I wrote a story about this experience for the newspaper where I had done a teen column during my senior year of high school. Days just celebrated its 50th anniversary and Mom bought me the book. We tried going to the book signing but too many fans had shown up. Oh well, it was still fun. I am still a fan of this show as well as General Hospital.
- My favorite holiday is Thanksgiving. I love that the day isn’t about gifts, that food is the main event, and that it is a day to be thankful. I had a wonderful day of thanksgiving last week. We went to my parent’s house and had a delicious meal that everyone helped with. We do a potluck so each family has an item or two to contribute. We then spent the night and had fun the next day as well. I have so much to be thankful for and am so very blessed.
- My favorite vacation spot is the family beach house. I have so many fond memories as a child and grownup from trips to this tiny 1 1/2 bedroom, 1 1/2 bathroom house. It is tiny and in an odd location, yet it is magical. The location is lovely, the air is crisp, the breeze is cool and often cold, the neighbors are friendly, and the family time is incredible. I am so blessed to have had this treasure to enjoy for my entire life.
- And finally, I once was really and truly crapped upon. One day, I was at a restaurant with my family and we were sitting on the balcony. I was talking and having a great time when all of a sudden, I felt a drop on my head. I later looked up as a pigeon flew away. ARG! This blasted bird had sh*t upon my hair, my shoulder, and my lap. My clothes were never the same and impossible to get clean again. I just had to laugh about it.
What are 10 interesting things about you? Please share them.