Love comes in many shapes and sizes. There are many types of love and many things that define love. As you know, we just celebrated the big love day of the year, Valentines’ Day. Well, it is a day that stores and restaurants try to make the big day. We are encouraged to spend a marked up amount on flowers, eat out, and spend a lot on cards.
That is fine but why not enjoy a home cooked meal with our mate and children? Why not enjoy our own tradition of handwriting a special card? Why not have both of you sign the same card as Kirk and I did this year? And, why not remember to love and show our love each and every day?
Don’t get me wrong, I have enjoyed the fun of Valentine’s Day, the fancy dinners out, and the dozen red roses. There is nothing like that in the early stages of a relationship. But, more importantly, I like when Kirk gives me flowers just because, or has asked if I’d like to eat out after a tiring day at work, or wants to have a date night in the middle of the week.
I also like to do special things for him just because. And I like that we tell each other I love you every day. And, we tell our son that as well. We also regularly demonstrate love to one other by the things we help with around the house, the projects, and the teamwork.
Before meeting Kirk, I had many years without a special someone. it could be tough at times but I did my best to enjoy time with my friends and family. I also learned to love myself and figure out what I wanted in a relationship. That was a blessing and helped me appreciate my relationship even more.
At the top of the blog, I listed a few quotes about love. Here are my thoughts on them.
- Love is all you need. This is from a great Beatles song that I really like. To me, we need more than love to have relationships work. We also need trust, honesty, forgiveness, and patience. Clearly love needs to be part of it since without it, it is very hard to have the rest.
- Love means never having to say you’re sorry. This was made famous in The Love Story movie. I totally disagree with this sentiment. To me, love means saying sorry often and as needed. Not so much that it means nothing, but enough to show we realize when we made mistakes.
- I will always love you. This is from one of my favorite Celine Dion songs and is lovely. I agree that you can always love someone. However, you may not always like them and can get frustrated with them. True love means sticking with them through it all and always being there for each other. And loving unconditionally.
- Love one another as I have loved you. Christ told us to do this and I think we are lacking with this at times. We seem to be a society of mistrust, gossip, and a lot of negativity. I hope and pray that we can get back to truly loving others and wanting the best for each other. People often try to take credit for another’s accomplishments or blame people when something doesn’t work out. None of us are perfect and we all make mistakes. My hope is that we can find a way to be more loving and kind.
Love is an amazing gift and something that is rare and precious. It is to be treasured and respected. It is to be given freely and without expecting anything in return. And, it is to be given without condition.
The loves in my life are:
- My husband who I cherish
- Our son who is a gift from the Lord and a blessing each day
- My parents who taught me what love means
- My siblings and their spouses who I adore
- My nieces and nephews who I am fascinated by
- My cousins who I have shared so much with
- My aunts and uncles who love me like their own
- My grandparents who I miss each day and loved talking with
- My in-laws who welcomed me into their family
- My lifetime friends who I have laughed and cried with
- My newer friends who I am enjoying getting to know
- My friends from work, school, and church who are so special
- My loved ones who have passed and are still missed
I wonder if I will truly remember to love as Christ loved me. I am going to do my best to do just that. My prayer is that we all have love and can truly love others.