Ian recently learned to read and loves it. One day while we were in the car, he told me, “Mommy, I just can’t quit reading.” I said, “That is great Ian.” He then grinned from ear to ear.
Last year before kindergarten started, he was worried that he wouldn’t learn to read. “I just can’t do it Mommy,” he said in frustration. I told him that he would learn and eventually be able to read. Now, he can and it’s fantastic.
On the first day of school, his teacher said that “by the time the school year is over, your children will be reading.” On that day I wondered if that could happen. Today, I am glad to say that it did.
Ian has always liked books and reading. This picture, from when he was about 3 years old, shows a book that he liked at that time — a Sesame Street book. And, from his birth to age 5, we had him enrolled in Imagination Library. Each month a new book came in the mail. Such a wonderful program. Students graduate out of it at age 5.
We regularly go the library. When he turned 6 years old, we got him his own card. So, he can check out 6 books at a time. He enjoys taking the time to pick them. Then he comes home, picks one, sits on the couch or lies down on the floor, and pours over them. He often reads them aloud and asks Kirk or me for help as he needs it.
The fact he can see words everywhere is wonderful, and even better that he can read them and likes it. I loved hearing, “I can’t quit reading.” I just hope that he will love reading for a long time. Since books have always been around for him, I think that he will enjoy them for many years to come.
A few quotes about reading:
- “There is no friend as loyal as a book.” — Ernest Hemingway
- “If one reads enough books one has a fighting chance. Or better, one’s chances of survival increase with each book one reads.” — Sherman Alexie
- “Reading is the sole means by which we slip, involuntarily, often helplessly, into another’s skin, another’s voice, another’s soul.” — Joyce Carol Oates
- “Never trust anyone who has not brought a book with them.” — Lemony Snicket
- “Be awesome! Be a book nut!” — Dr. Seuss
- “Good books, like good friends, are few and chosen; the more select, the more enjoyable.” — Louisa May Alcott
- “I owe everything I am and everything I will ever be to books.” — Gary Paulsen
- “Reading brings us unknown friends.” — Honoré de Balzac
- “Books are a uniquely portable magic.” — Stephen King
- “Knowing you have something good to read before bed is among the most pleasurable of sensations.” — Vladimir Nabokov
I wonder what new books Ian will want to read? I can’t wait to find out. Have a great day!