Seven years ago at this time, I held a newborn baby boy in my arms. That morning, we met Ian Cates for the first time. So much has changed from that day to now. It is truly amazing. I have loved seeing Ian learn how to do things, discover the fun of reading, and share his own thoughts and ideas.
He is a sweet soul who cares about others, enjoys playing and having fun, enjoys special time with Mom and Dad, and time with his grandparents and other family, and loves to play and tell stories. It is hard to believe our boy is 7 years old today. My how those years have flown.
This morning before school, we put candles on his biscuit for breakfast. He enjoyed blowing them out and loved hearing me sing Happy Birthday to him. Tonight we are having a birthday dinner with family. He is excited about that as well.
He enjoys his birthday and enjoys making a big deal about it. He was appreciative about the gift we gave him this morning as well. “Thanks, Mom and Dad,” he said with a smile that stretched from ear to ear.
This picture was taken several months ago. It is amazing that now he looks more like a little man than a little boy. I am not exactly sure when that happened, but it certainly did.
Today I am thankful for:
- A boy with dimples and a wonderful smile
- Big blue eyes that are full of wonder and love
- October 2 for that is the day we met this amazing boy
- Hugs and hearing, “I love you Mom”
- Ian appreciating a special gift
- Making meals and sweet treats with a boy wearing an apron that is a little too big
- Reading a hand-written note that says, “Mommy, I will love you forever”
- Hearing Ian pray at meal time
- Watching him play, discover, and learn
I never thought I could love someone as much as I love my hubby and our son. They are two amazing blessings who I am very thankful for. Today I will enjoy looking back on all the phases of our sweet birthday boy.
I wonder if I can savor each moment of Ian’s birthday?! I plan to do just that and look forward to him getting out of school today.