Last night, we watched an amazing telethon to raise money for those displaced in the recent wildfires in the mountains of Tennessee. The money was being raised for the Dolly Parton Foundation in order to help those who lost their homes.
This foundation is giving $1,000.00 per month for 6 months to these families. Amazing generosity isn’t it? And many people stepped up to help her raise this money — Dollar General, Belmont University, Taylor Swift, CMT, Academy of Country Music, Kenny Chesney, and many more.
There were comments and calls-in by Paul Simon, Keifer Sutherland, Steve Harvey, and others. And, the talent was fantastic — Cyndi Lauper, Amy Grant, Michael W. Smith, Reba McEntire, Alison Krause, Chris Stapleton, and many others in acoustic performances.
So much generosity and giving and it was a treat to watch and be a part of. This is what Christmas and the season of giving is all about. I just hope that we remember to live this kindness throughout the year.
As Dolly said, these are her people and she wants to help them. During the telethon she even said this isn’t about me, it’s about them. She has always remembered where she came from and gives back. A fine example of the blessing of giving.
Another recent story of giving is of a Santa who was there when a terminally ill boy was dying. The hospital called him to say this boy had one last wish to see Santa before he died. He had to go so fast that he just had his Santa suspenders on.
So this man went and talked to this boy. He told him, “You are my number one elf.” The boy said, “I am?” Santa then held him as he died in his arms. Cue the water works. So much sad about this story but also so much positive and loving. Thanks to Sam Venable for this amazing story.
Again, giving with all of someone’s heart. Something to strive for and to practice each day. Sometimes giving is money and other times it is our time and attention. May we discern when the giving is needed and what others do need. And then may we give.
A few quotes about giving:
- “It’s not how much we give but how much love we put into giving.” — Mother Teresa
- “We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.” — Winston Churchill
- “You give but little when you give of your possessions. It is when you give of yourself that you truly give.”– Kahlil Gibran
- “A kind gesture can reach a wound that only compassion can heal.”– Steve Maraboli
- “Learn to light a candle in the darkest moments of someone’s life. Be the light that helps others see; it is what gives life its deepest significance.”– Roy T. Bennett
I wonder when the next chance for giving will be? I will be on the lookout and ready to do what I can. God’s blessings to you!!