Here is a list of 10 of them. I will be writing another list again soon.
- To laugh. I have loved laughing for as long as I can remember. I love to hear Kirk and Ian laugh as well. Funny TV shows or a funny movie can make me laugh. Also, jokes and stories from family and friends make me laugh. Earlier today we watched the movie, “Mom’s Night Out.” It was silly, funny, and I truly enjoyed it. When I was younger, my sister, two dear friends, and I created a club in which we loved to laugh and often did. We knew the importance of being silly and for that, I am forever grateful.
- Having a garage on a cold and snowy day, or on a day when it’s pouring rain. I have lived a few places with no garage but instead a parking space. That is fine on a sunny day, but when it’s 8 degrees outside, it is so nice to not have to wait for 5 minutes while the car warms up. Earlier this week, we enjoyed the benefit of our garage. Our garage truly makes me feel spoiled.
- Cub Scouts and sharing that with Ian. I have several family members who have been in scouting for a while so I was aware of it. However, being involved has been more than I could have imagined. Ian has learned a lot, has grown and blossomed, and made some great friends. The first year the parents are required to be involved and I have really enjoyed it too. Soon, we will be doing the Pinewood Derby Race. That will also be lots of fun. The photo is a scouting outing to the bowling alley.
- Stories. I can’t imagine my life without words and stories. I grew up listening to stories created by my grandfather and absolutely loved them. He was an amazing influence on my love of stories. He was also a great writer who I have learned a lot from. I think my writing is similar to his and that makes me smile. Ian is quite good at making stories up as well. That makes me super happy.
- Writing. This is something else that I cannot imagine not having the opportunity to do. As I mentioned when I started this blog, I didn’t write at all for about a year after Ian was born. Then one day, I realized that something was missing. So I starting writing again and that helped. My outlet of getting my thoughts and feelings out there was again in business! I have worked as a writer and now really enjoy blogging and doing other writing. And, I am working on ideas for a few books. It is one of my dreams to have a book or two published.
- Reading. My life has been so enriched by the love of books and reading. I also like magazines and newspapers as well. I am thrilled that Ian too loves to read. We started him out very young and are so happy that we did. Now seeing him read and listening to a special story is a great way to spend some special time. Some of my favorite books as a child were “The Little House on the Prairie” series, “The Secret Garden,” and almost anything by Dr. Seuss.
- Watching TV – both current shows and classics. I am a TV girl for sure. I like a variety of shows and always watch the news in the morning and evenings. I am one who follows a few shows very faithfully. Some of my favorites are “The Good Wife,” “Madam Secretary,” “Downton Abbey,” “Chicago Fire,” “Magnum, P.I.,” “Diagnosis Murder,” “Murder She Wrote,” “Hot In Cleveland,” “Hart to Hart,” “Scorpion,” and “Mike and Molly.” I like a wide variety and enjoy tuning in.
- Soap Operas and magazine. Okay, I will admit that along with reading and writing and liking PBS shows, I also like my soaps. I have been watching “Days Of Our Lives” for years. This show will celebrate 50 years of being on the air soon and that is cool. Generations can watch the never-ending saga and drama. It may be repetitive at times but I still like it. And, 20 years ago, Mom and I got to visit the studio, so that was a lot of fun. Now there are four daytime soaps left. I keep up with them in the Soap Opera Digest.
- Photography and photo gifts. I love pictures and enjoy capturing special moments. My sister has made me several fabulous photo books — one of the first year of Ian’s life and then from our special vacation spot. My mother has made several great calendars — the most recent of our childhood home. I always have my camera at family gatherings and also try to shoot nature and other things that interest me. And, I love old photos of our family and friends. It is so fun to look back at my grandparent’s honeymoon dessert photo, my sister and brother and I in our 70s or 80s finest, and a very old photo from childhood of us sitting on Grandpa’s lap for a special story.
- Singing and dancing. Music has always been in my life and I love that. I love to sing and dance. Whether it’s the radio, singing hymns at church, or the choir, I love singing. This season of “American Idol” has some good talent. I haven’t watched this in a while but have enjoyed the first few audition shows. For dancing, I like the 80s and 90s dance music the best — “Vogue,” “The Electric Slide,” and “Push It” are some of my faves. I also like a few by Earth, Wind and Fire, Stevie Wonder, En Vogue, C&C Music Factory, Janet Jackson, and the list goes on.
Some of my listing may seem trivial or silly. However, I have learned in life to find things that I am happy with and that I like. And, I love what I love. I hope that you do as well. After all, we all have our favorites. Some are sports fanatics, others like the soaps, some like reality shows, and others like talk radio.
What is on your list? I would love to hear about some of the things that you love! Please share them with me and our readers.