Hi and Happy (almost) Thanksgiving,
“Our Father-God we thank thee…
- For the ringing laughter of our children playing, for their giggles, and the moist throaty chuckles of our babies
• For the tender weight of a sleeping child in our arms, and the trust of a tired son who rests his head upon our shoulder, and sleeps
• For the joy we feel in baby’s first tooth, first word, first step, and the thrill of the grown-up child who marries
• For the exultant communion with our teen ones when we dive together into the clean cold surf at dawn, and stand with them silently at sunset drinking glory from the cloud-studded sky
• For small boys on tricycles, or on hands and knees in the sandbox pushing toy trucks and making man-noises
• For tomboy girls streaking across the lawn, swinging on rings, or whirling like pinwheels on turning bars
• For the wonder on the sensitive face of a half-grown child as she listens to a great organ for the first time, or watches a symphony orchestra
• For the fun of family picnics, and vacation trips, and going fishing together
• For the thrill we feel when a daughter stands before us in her first formal gown, and we realize that she is beautiful
• For the joy of a child’s recovery from illness, and the relief we feel when we see an accident almost happen, but not quite
• For the pressure of a timid child’s hand in ours as we walk together in the dark
• For parenthood we thank thee.
• And, our Father-God, to thee we pray for peace. If it be thy will, grant that we may continue our lives together in the precious years to come. Amen.”
I love this prayer and it gets me every time. Love you Grandpa and miss you very much.
I want to add a prayer of thanks to all of our loved ones who have supported us over the last year. Much of it has been a blur and we couldn’t have made it without that support or the prayers that have been lifted for us.
- For friends who prepare food when meals are the last things on our minds.
- For siblings who drop everything to come to be with you when you need them the most.
- For parents who love you through the toughest year of your life.
- For in-laws who miss your loved one as much as you. We are thankful for having them as family who we will always love. And, we are thankful for being able to share memories with them.
- For family and friends who are there to share a funny story or laughter and there when you need to cry.
- For a 20 year marriage to a man who loved us unconditionally. We just wish there had been many more years together.
- For a child who is a blessing, and has been since his birth. He is an amazing young man and the best of his dad lives on in him.
- For friends who have stepped up throughout the year by listening, spending time with us, and laughing with us.
- For our church family who has shown what faith truly looks like.
- For our school family who has taken care of Ian through a tough year and continues to teach him and help him.
- For our neighbors for helping to take care of our yard and with a few bills.
- For our faith, without which we would not have made it this year.
- For the ability to love others despite the pain of loss.
- For being able to thank those who have helped us, lifted us up, prayed with us, prayed for us, and have loved us. Amen.
Hope and pray that you have a Happy Thanksgiving with your loved ones. May you be thankful for times with them and enjoy your blessings.