Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday. I like the chance to be with loved ones, enjoy food that everyone has helped prepare, spend the day enjoying food, fun, family, friends, and football, and the time to give thanks and praise for our blessings.
I like that commercialism hasn’t taken it over — just favorite family recipes and being careful with the latest warnings about unsafe food (Romaine lettuce this week). I like that the day is about some of my favorite things or ways to spend my time — with a delicious meal and a great conversation and laugh.
I had planned to write each day this month on items that I am thankful for but just didn’t get the chance. Things have been busy — with family business projects, homework, and other issues, and some personal issues as well. Another day this week, I will write some more on those. For now, I want to go and enjoy my blessings, as I hope you will also do.
Here are a few quotes about Thanksgiving. Enjoy:
- “As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them.” ~ John Fitzgerald Kennedy
- “Thanksgiving, after all, is a word of action.” ~ W.J. Cameron
- “Thanksgiving dinners take eighteen hours to prepare. They are consumed in twelve minutes. Half-times take twelve minutes. This is not coincidence.” ~ Erma Bombeck
- “For flowers that bloom about our feet;
For tender grass, so fresh, so sweet;
For song of bird, and hum of bee;
For all things fair we hear or see,
Father in heaven, we thank Thee!”
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
- “We can only be said to be alive in those moments when our hearts are conscious of our treasures.” ~ Thornton Wilder
- “Lord, we gather as a family to thank Thee for all Thy blessings, most especially for making us this family and granting us this gathering.” ~ Robert Brault
May you be blessed and have a wonderful Thanksgiving!