Hi and Happy Turkey Day as Ian has been calling it. Today, I wanted to share my Grandpa’s Thanksgiving Prayer. It is a prayer that always means the world to me and was one that I thought about as I first woke up this morning.
“Our Father-God we thank thee…
• For the ringing laughter of our children playing, for their giggles, and the moist throaty chuckles of our babies
• For the tender weight of a sleeping child in our arms, and the trust of a tired son who rests his head upon our shoulder, and sleeps
• For the joy we feel in baby’s first tooth, first word, first step, and the thrill of the grown-up child who marries
• For the exultant communion with our teen ones when we dive together into the clean cold surf at dawn, and stand with them silently at sunset drinking glory from the cloud-studded sky
• For small boys on tricycles, or on hands and knees in the sandbox pushing toy trucks and making man-noises
• For tomboy girls streaking across the lawn, swinging on rings, or whirling like pinwheels on turning bars
• For the wonder on the sensitive face of a half-grown child as she listens to a great organ for the first time, or watches a symphony orchestra
• For the fun of family picnics, and vacation trips, and going fishing together
• For the thrill we feel when a daughter stands before us in her first formal gown, and we realize that she is beautiful
• For the joy of a child’s recovery from illness, and the relief we feel when we see an accident almost happen, but not quite
• For the pressure of a timid child’s hand in ours as we walk together in the dark
• For parenthood we thank thee.
• And, our Father-God, to thee we pray for peace. If it be thy will, grant that we may continue our lives together in the precious years to come. Amen.”
Well said Grandpa! Here, here! As I get older, all of these items mean more to me. It is now so hard to read this prayer without tearing up and remembering him, my grandma and other loved ones. And each item of thankfulness is amazing.
Last year I wrote my own thanksgiving prayer. You can find it at https://patticates247.wordpress.com/2017/11/24/my-thanksgiving-prayer/
Our Father Good, we thank thee…
- For precious memories of loved ones that have passed away. I am thankful for my time with them. I want to carry on their legacies.
- For the ability to love and treat others with kindness and empathy. Sadly this is lacking in so many today. May we teach this ability to our children and one another.
- For a home to gather and enjoy our meal with friends and family. I lift up everyone who has been touched by those terrible wildfires or recent hurricanes. May you enjoy this day despite your life being changed.
- For new friendships and old as well. It is a blessing to meet and get to know others and build a community of support.
- For the ability to read and to go on adventures and for writing. Ian too has discovered this and for that I am very thankful.
- For our community, our school, our church, and our neighborhood. It is lovely to be a part of all of these groups.
- For my family who I treasure more than they know. Amen
Hope you have a wonderful and blessed Thanksgiving! Enjoy your turkey day!