This weekend is big in my family. Today is my parent’s 51st wedding anniversary. And, tomorrow is Father’s Day. So Happy Anniversary to my Mom and Dad and Happy Dad’s day to Dad. Here is a favorite photo of the two of them and another of me with Dad.
They are awesome parents and we celebrated their anniversary last night. We enjoyed dinner with them and cake and ice cream and a long visit. It was great. Tonight they will have dinner out with some dear friends. Then tomorrow after church, we will make lunch for them and for Kirk in celebration of Father’s Day.
Ian had asked me recently if we were going to celebrate their anniversary this year. Last year was their 50th anniversary and we had two big parties. We had visits with friends and family we hadn’t seen in a while and had a terrific time. This year we celebrated but on a much smaller scale.
I love that we live close enough to them to have regular visits. It is so great for Ian as well to have lot of time with his grandparents. I am so very thankful for that and count it as a definite blessing. My parents taught me so much and now they are teaching Ian many things as well.
I have such fond memories with my parents:
- Camping trips at state parks
- Driving cross-country to the beach
- Reading the paper on the beach house porch
- Camp Fire songs and food
- Shag carpet and dark walls
- Photos at the beach
- Numerous sunsets
- Fireworks and cookouts
- Weddings and Baptisms
- Lions Club sales and meetings
- Moving them into their new home
- Singing with them at church
- Lunches after church
- Activities at Ian’s school
- Many moments with my parents, my siblings, and our children
- Birthday celebrations with family and friends
- Family books and inside jokes
My parents mean the world to me. They have taught me so much:
- Unconditional love
- Tolerance of others
- The love of the ocean
- The love of extended family
- Parenting with discipline and love
- To work hard and equally play hard
- To savor and cherish each day
- To always be thankful
- To spend time with loved ones
- To use my talents and abilities
- To be appreciative of others
- To be kind and loving
- To still wonder about things
Mom and Dad, thanks for everything! You were and still are amazing parents to me, to Cindy and to Richmond, great in-laws to Kirk, Cody, and Beckie. And you are amazing grandparents to our children. Love you always!