Hi and Happy Monday. I cannot believe that it’s been an entire week since I have written a blog. My week went by so fast. I have been fighting pollen allergies and have been tired and away from the computer more than usual. One writing prompt that I missed last week was Giggle. I have much to say about that.
I love to laugh and to giggle. In fact, when I was a child, I had two dear friends and my sister who loved to giggle. We created our own club — the Giggle Gal Pals — Patti, Tammy, Cindy, and Sonya. We would regularly laugh together and chat about all kinds of things that elementary age children talk about. We had a blast together. We remain in touch today and still have fond memories of these times together.
I loved that we knew even at a young age the importance of laughter and being with your friends. Now they are finding that laughter has medical benefits. It is something that people are being encouraged to do each day. So is spending time with loved ones. We could have told them that. If only someone had asked. Wisdom of the young, right?
Now I love to laugh over an inside joke with a friend or family member, a funny television show or movie, or tickle time. And, I especially like to hear Ian laugh. His laughing/giggling is lovely music that I cherish. When he laughs, I also laugh, and so usually does Kirk. We then just look at each other and break back into fits of giggles. Before long, we may not even remember what we were laughing at in the first place.
This photo demonstrates our love of laughing and being totally ridiculous. It is of my brother, my sister, and me at Christmas time. My nephew Isaac is the arms of the tree. This photo makes me smile and giggle a bit. These are some of my favorite people to laugh with. We have many inside jokes from a lifetime of amazing moments. I will always cherish them.
A few shows and movies that make me laugh are:
- “Clue” starring Tim Curry and a wonderful cast. I laugh the entire way through and especially love to watch this with my brother.
- “Young Frankenstein” and all movies by Mel Brooks. He can make me laugh like no one else.
- “Will and Grace” is one of my all-time favorites and truly pushed the boundaries but I cracked up laughing each episode. I miss this show and am thrilled to see it in reruns.
- “Mike and Molly” is quite funny and won’t be on much longer. I do like the cast quite a bit.
- “Designing Women” was and remains one of my all-time favorite funny shows. I must say that I liked the original four the best — Julia, Suzanne, Charlene, and Mary Jo.
- “Golden Girls” is a classic. It is hard to believe that all but one of these great actresses is gone. Although the clothes and makeup are from years ago, the humor lingers on.
- “Hot in Cleveland.” This was on for a few years and another favorite. These gals were their own family and always made me laugh. And it was fun to see Betty White.
- “The Cosby Show” was one of the all-time greats. This was clever and had great family dynamics.
- “Friends” was another favorite. I grew up with these characters and loved to laugh along with them during their adventures.
- “Cheers” and then “Frasier” were also great and consistently smart humor.
My list could go on and on. I am quite picky with my comedy and always know exactly what I like. How about you? What are your favorites? I would love to hear what makes you laugh or giggle. Please share since there is so much more out there.
A few quotes about laughter and giggles:
“Perfect happiness is a beautiful sunset, the giggle of a grandchild, the first snowfall. It’s the little things that make happy moments, not the grand events. Joy comes in sips, not gulps.” — Sharon Draper
- “A laugh is a great stimulator, a pushful entry into life; and once we can laugh, we can live.” — Sean O’Casey
- “At the height of laughter, the universe is flung into a kaleidoscope of new possibilities.” — Jean Houston
- “Sometimes I laugh so hard the tears run down my leg.” ~Author Unknown
- “Laughter is poison to fear.” — George R. R. Martin
- “To laugh is to live profoundly.” — Milan Kundera
- “A good laugh and a long sleep are the best cures in the doctor’s book.” ~Irish Proverb
- “May your day be filled with giggles.” — Unknown
I wonder if I will be able to giggle each day? I already have giggled some this morning and hope to again later, and each day after that! Hope you have a great week!