I have so many memories of the beach. I was fortunate to be able to go to the beach and family beach house many times. It was so nice that my grandparents owned a house that we could stay in — both at the beach and inland as well.
One of my fondest and silliest memories is when I was a pre-teen. My cousin Pam, her sister Xandra, and my sister Cindy were playing on the beach. We made cars out of sand, sat in them, and had huge pieces of seaweed on both the sand cars and on us. We had a blast! The top photo is of me with Pam years later when we were at the beach again.
I don’t remember the photo of me with my parents on the beach house’s front porch, but do love the photo. I love that it shows how long we have been there. This place is so very important to our family and multiple generations have enjoyed being at the beach together.
The girls in red dresses photos are of my sister Cindy and me posing and trying to behave. I love how cute we look in our matching dresses! We had a few of the same outfits through the years and these were some of my favorites.
The boy on the lifeguard tower is Ian. He has been going to the beach for much of his young life as well. I love his expression in this photo and how totally excited he is. Many pictures have been taken both when I was little, as I grew up, and now with Ian and his generation through the years. He and his cousins love the beach and the house as much as my siblings, my cousins and I do.
One of my recent favorite memories was when I was on the beach with my son, my father, and my grandmother. Four generations together was incredibly special to me. One evening Grams wanted to get her toes in the sand and the rest of us went with her. I was so happy and honored to share that last beach visit with her. I tear up just thinking about it. Sadly no good photos turned out since it was just after sunset. But the memory and my feelings live on.
Some of my favorite memories are:
- Spending the night with cousins in the front room both at the beach house and inland house
- Grandma and Grandpa’s camper in the parking space across from the beach house
- Meals and fellowship on the front porch
- Listening to Grandpa’s stories with a roomful of family
- Praying and holding hands before a meal
- Cards and games after dark
- Watching hundreds of sunsets with loved ones
- Then walking back to the house to visit and enjoy desert
- Toes in the sand
- Long walks to the pier and back
- The smell of the ocean and salt
- The wind whipping through my hair
- The feel of the cold water on my toes and feet
- Seeing dolphins ride the waves
- Watching our surfing friends and family
- Fish tacos and drinks
- Bonfires, s’mores, and songs at the fire pit
- Watching the grunion run
- Staying up at a bonfire with friends
- Collecting shells
- The smell of aloe vera after a sunny day
- The magic of the ice cream truck
- Time with my parents, siblings, cousins, aunts and uncles
- Fighting over parking spaces
- Long bike rides and long walks
- The place that is my Brigadoon
I wonder when I will be back at this favorite beach? I hope it is soon and with many friends and family. What are your favorite beach memories?