Hi and Happy Thursday. Today’s Photo of the Day Challenge is Reading. Here is a photo from October 2015. It is of Ian reading the instructions on how to put up his tent that he received as a birthday gift.
He read these instructions with authority as we tried to assemble the tent for a camp out. What a fun evening that was. Kirk, Ian, and I slept in the tent one night in the fall. Very early in the morning, it started raining so we went back inside. After the rain stopped, we dried the tent before putting it away.
I don’t know about you but I love reading and especially I love seeing Ian read. He is a great reader and now reads books of his own, books from the school library, and books we check out from the city library.
A few of his recent favorites are The Jedi Academy series and books by Mo Willems. He now has all three of the Jedi Academy series – two he bought and the other he received as a Christmas gift. For his birthday, he was given several Elephant and Piggy books. We both love them.
I too love to read books. My favorite books are fiction and often about women. I also like mysteries. A few favorite authors are Jane Green, Danielle Steel, Carol Higgins Clark, and Kristen Higgins. I have many others as well but cannot remember all of the names. I love checking out books from the library or buying them at discount bookstores.
I also enjoy some nonfiction stories and items about favorite shows or cities. My interests are varied. I sometimes like to read biographies or autobiographies about Julie Andrews, Dick Van Dyke, Elton John, James Garner, Ricky Martin, Dean Martin, and many others. I also like cookbooks, books about traveling, and how others live. I would be lost without the ability to read.
Reading is so very important in one’s ability to become educated and have a good job. My prayer is that all children and adults will learn to read and love to read as well. Many people in my family and a few in Kirk’s family have helped both children and adults learn to read. It has been exciting to see and hear about too! May the reading continue.
One of the items on my bucket list is to write a book or two. I want to write a children’s book with Ian’s help and a historical fiction novel with a strong female character. I have ideas in my head but I want to find time to actually start working on the ideas, the plots, the characters, and starting doing research. I will keep you posted on my progress!
A few quotes about reading:
- “A capacity and taste for reading gives access to whatever has already been discovered by others.” — Abraham Lincoln
- “The ability to read awoke inside me some long dormant craving to be mentally alive.” — Malcolm X
- “He that loves a book will never want a faithful friend, a wholesome counselor, a cheerful companion, an effectual comforter. By study, by reading, by thinking, one may innocently divert and pleasantly entertain himself, as in all weathers, as in all fortunes.” — Barrow
- “We read to know we are not alone.” — C.S. Lewis
- “The more you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go.” — Dr. Seuss
- “Children are made readers on the laps of their parents.” — Emilie Buchwald
- “Once you learn to read, you will be forever free.” — Frederick Douglas
Aren’t these quotes great? I found them online and like each one for different reasons. We do learn more and can think about things more deeply when we are reading regularly. We can learn about ideas and concepts that are different than our own, and can learn how much variety and differences there truly are.
May we have many adventures as we read. May we remember what a gift it is to be a reader. May we help others learn to read.