And I’m proud to be an American
Where at least I know I’m free
And I won’t forget the men who died
Who gave that right to me
And I’d gladly stand up next to you
And defend Her still today
‘Cause there ain’t no doubt
I love this land
God Bless the U.S.A.
This is the amazing chorus of “God Bless The USA” by Lee Greenwood. This song gets me every time and is an amazing reminder of the people who sacrifice so much for us. It is what Veterans Day is all about.
In 1919, President Wilson proclaimed the first armistice day, “To us in America, the reflections of Armistice Day will be filled with solemn pride in the heroism of those who died in the country’s service and with gratitude for the victory, both because of the thing from which it has freed us and because of the opportunity it has given America to show her sympathy with peace and justice in the councils of the nations…”
I so appreciate all men and women who have served to defend our country. These people have included my friends and family. Thanks to them for their service, their sacrifice, and for protecting those they don’t know.
This week, the second grade class at Ian’s school is performing a concert in honor of our Veterans. I cannot wait to see these 7- and 8-year-olds sing about patriotism and honor. It will be an amazing sight. They have invited veterans to attend. I hope that a lot will.
My prayers are with our veterans both those who made it home and those who gave the ultimate sacrifice. My prayers are also with their families. And, I thank them for all they have done.
- To all who have kept us safe, thank you
- To all who have worn a uniform with pride, thank you
- To all who have sacrificed their time away from their own families, thank you
- To all who have sacrificed with injuries, thank you and may we help you as you return to your life
- To all who say goodbye to loved ones as they leave for war or a mission, we thank you and appreciate your sacrifice
- To those who know that freedom is never free, we honor you
- To all who have sacrificed with your lives, we remember you this day