Hi and Happy Friday! For today’s Flashback Friday, I chose a picture from the early 1980s. Mom and I are dressed as nuns for “The Sound of Music,” which was performed at our community theater. We were in the chorus of singing nuns and my sister played Marta. It was such a fun show. In this picture, I love the expression of our eyes, our smiles, dimples, and the praying hands. We did have a great time.
Throughout my childhood, I was in plays and musicals and loved every minute of them. Our community theater produced great shows with amateur actors, singers, and dancers. There also was a Junior Playhouse for kids. We spent quite a few summers there.
Some of the shows that we did were “J.B.” about the story of the book of Job in the Bible, “The Emperor’s New Clothes,” “Barnum,” “The Sound of Music,” “Hello Dolly,” and others that I don’t remember.
Then in high school, I was in the drama club and had a blast with that as well. The shows that I was in for that were “Fiddler on the Roof,” “Our Town,” “Around the World In 80 Days,” “Pillow Talk,” and “Bye, Bye Birdie.” In college, I performed in three musicals — “Camelot,” “Carousel,” and “South Pacific.”
It has been a long time since I have been on the stage. I miss the fun and camaraderie that the cast has. And, since I love to sing, it was fun to have that chance. Long days and many hours were spent in the community theater and my high school theater.
We went with Ian’s Cub Scout Den this Monday on a tour of the square where the community theater was and still is. It was fun to see that building again and it brought back a lot of great memories. During the summers of junior playhouse, we would walk down to the local pharmacy for snacks and ice cream. That pharmacy is no longer there. That building was converted into a restaurant. The food is good but I miss the pharmacy.
I also love to see musicals and plays. Two years ago, we took Ian to see Peter Pan and he loved it. It was an abbreviated production during the school day, but just right for him. I hope we will see more shows soon.
We have a few friends who are professional actors and I love to see them in their particular genres. We also have friends who are actively involved in the theaters in their community. Theater to me was a fun hobby.
A few quotes about the theater:
- “All the world’s a stage, And all the men and women merely players; They have their exits and their entrances, And one man in his time plays many parts, His acts being seven ages…” William Shakespeare
- “Movies will make you famous; Television will make you rich; But Theatre will make you good.” — Terrance Mann
- “Act well your part; there all the honour lies.” — Alexander Pope
- “Life is a theatre set in which there are but few practicable entrances.” — Victor Hugo
- “An actor must never be afraid to make a fool of himself.” — Harvey Cocks
- “The stage is a magic circle where only the most real things happen, a neutral territory outside the jurisdiction of Fate where stars may be crossed with impunity. A truer and more real place does not exist in all the universe.”– P.S. Baber
I wonder when the next time will be that I am in a play or a musical? I am not sure but hope to be in a show again one day.