Here I am pictured with him in 1990. He was and still is my favorite storyteller and an amazing writer, educator, father, and grandfather.
He wrote a newspaper column for many years called “Parent’s Corner.” It sums up the perfect Parent’s Thanksgiving Prayer to me. Each time I read it I am in awe of the pictures that his words so vividly describe and I tear up over them.
“Our Father-God we thank thee
- For the ringing laughter of our children playing, for their giggles, and the moist throaty chuckles of our babies
- For the tender weight of a sleeping child in our arms, and the trust of a tired son who rests his head upon our shoulder, and sleeps
- For the joy we feel in baby’s first tooth, first word, first step, and the thrill of the grown-up child who marries
- For the exultant communion with our teen ones when we dive together into the clean cold surf at dawn, and stand with them silently at sunset drinking glory from the cloud-studded sky
- For small boys on tricycles, or on hands and knees in the sandbox pushing toy trucks and making man-noises
- For tomboy girls streaking across the lawn, swinging on rings, or whirling like pinwheels on turning bars
- For the wonder on the sensitive face of a half-grown child as she listens to a great organ for the first time, or watches a symphony orchestra
- For the fun of family picnics, and vacation trips, and going fishing together
- For the thrill we feel when a daughter stands before us in her first formal gown, and we realize that she is beautiful
- For the joy of a child’s recovery from illness, and the relief we feel when we see an accident almost happen, but not quite
- For the pressure of a timid child’s hand in ours as we walk together in the dark
- For parenthood we thank thee.
- And, our Father-God, to thee we pray for peace. If it be thy will, grant that we may continue our lives together in the precious years to come.
May you have a blessed and wonderful Thanksgiving! And, may you be thankful for those special to you.