I have seen the movie and enjoyed it. However, hearing and reading the title inspired me to write since I think there is magic in ordinary days.
Ordinary is defined as the regular or customary condition or course of things. It often gets a bad rap since things are “supposed” to be unique, or special or amazing. But, in the midst of storms of life, the ordinary is comforting.
We are creatures of habit and routine and that is what ordinary days are to me. The comfort of knowing what to expect is nice. Don’t get me wrong, I do like excitement and new and exciting things, but I am basic person and happy with ordinary things.
Some of the ordinary things that make me happy are:
- Time in the morning with my guys as we sit on the bed, talk, and watch Good Morning America
- My coffee with creamer each morning
- Doing word finds
- A cold glass of milk with a special treat
- Shopping at the local Goodwill for new clothes
- Watching reruns of a favorite show for the umpteenth time
- Singing along to each and every word of a favorite musical or song on the radio
- Re-reading a favorite book
- Walking around a new city (like Charleston, SC) with my son and other family – as in the blog’s picture
- Playing cards or games with my family
- Talking and laughing with friends
- Weekly trips to the library
- Walking to and from school with my son (actually this is pretty special and will happening again soon)
The people in my life are not ordinary but extraordinary. They enrich my life and bring me happiness. To be with them is special and fun.
Here are a few quotes I found about ordinary and extraordinary:
- “You can find something truly important in an ordinary minute.”– Mitch Albom
- “Carpe diem. Seize the day, boys. Make your lives extraordinary”– John Keating
- “Things don’t have to be extraordinary to be beautiful. Even the ordinary can be beautiful.” — Wicker Park
- “In extraordinary times, the ordinary takes on a glow and wonder all of its own”– Mike A. Lancaster
I am truly thankful for both the ordinary and extraordinary. I wonder what today will bring? I can’t wait to find out.