Today is the first day of Advent — our season before Christmas. They will light a candle at church and we will hear part of the Christmas story. And each Wednesday between now and Christmas, we will have a dinner and short service. The time of year helps us remember that Jesus is the Reason for the Season.
It is also the day after the birthday of five of my friends — Laura, Karla, Phyllis, Becky, and Donna. Hope all of you had wonderful birthdays! I got to see two of these ladies last week during a fun girls night out. The others I keep in touch with mainly through Facebook and do see around town some.
This is the day that some of my friends have to move out of their homes. I am going to do my best not to cry today when I think of these changes. Instead I want to smile and focus on knowing them and being excited for a new chapter in their lives. You can read more about these changes in “An Ode to SRP.”
Today is the first day that I am truly going to work on my weight loss journey again. I saw a recent photo of myself and didn’t like how I looked at all. My face has gotten much heavier than I realized — as has all of me. I know what to do, I just have to do it.
December 1st is the first day of the last month of the year. It is hard to believe that it has gone as quickly as it has. It seems like we just started 2013 and now are nearly into 2014.
It is also my birthday. Normally I don’t write about my own birthday but today I wanted to share my blessings with you and some of my thoughts over this last year. Here is a picture of me from 2010 with my birthday cake.
It has been quite a year. There have been losses but also several new people have come into my life. It is so hard to say goodbye to people who mean so much to you but unfortunately this is a hard and sad part of life. New friendships are fabulous, as is seeing your son make a new friend who he has a ball with.
We didn’t have a real vacation anywhere this year so Ian’s Christmas break from school will be our time off. There are a few museums in our town that I hope to visit, we’ll be sure to go to the library, the park if it isn’t too cold, as well as other fun things that we will be doing. Perhaps a road trip or two but mainly time at home and with friends and family.
Ian started kindergarten this year. At the beginning, I had a very hard time and missed him like crazy. But, over the weeks, I have come to like going to the store by myself, being able to run out quickly and do something, read a book without interruption, and go to the bathroom by myself. The fact he loves school makes this so much easier.
Last night at my birthday party with family and friends, my grandmother was there. I feel so fortunate at my age to still have a living grandparent. For most of my life I knew three of them and always felt very fortunate for that fact. This year is something that was another treasure for me.
Some of my blessings and things I am thankful for:
- A man who loves me no matter my size or mood.
- A son who comes to me when he is hurt and asks questions and who wants me to put him to bed each night.
- Parents who taught me about love and family.
- My brother and sister and their spouses for showing love and kindness to me.
- My nieces and nephews for being the fun and amazing kids they are.
- In-laws who have welcomed me and all my quirks.
- Friends who I have known for many, many years and still can talk so easily to and have such fun with.
- A feisty grandmother who enjoys being with her family.
- Aunts and Uncles and Cousins who are so fun and special and important to who I am.
- New friends who I am still developing a relationship with.
- Ian’s teachers who watch over him and teach him so much.
- Ian’s friends that he is making and having fun with.
- Our house and neighborhood where we love to be.
- Our church where we met and got married and continue to enjoy services.
- Our city’s library where we check out so many great books and go on great adventures.
- A computer where I can write and keep in touch with others.
- A journal where I take sermon notes and write down inspirational ideas and quotes.
- A piano where I am re-learning music and trying to practice more.
- Our neighborhood where I can walk and Ian can ride his bike.
- The ability to sing and the fun of singing with family and friends.
I am so thrilled to have made another journey around the sun. Hope you have a wonderful 1st day of December!