(note: I had to repost this — due to some computer trouble – sorry the comments and likes were deleted)
In this crazy and super busy time of year, it is important to remember the simple things.
I don’t know about you but I am super busy these days and am not sure how I will have everything ready in time for Christmas. Every year, I always say I am going to start earlier in the year, but it never happens. Here’s hoping we can be ready.
The important thing to remember is that Christmas is about the birth of Jesus Christ – not the biggest present you can find, or how many cards you send out, or any other competition that can sometimes happen. It is a day to celebrate the gift of a savior.
Going to church and singing all of the hymns is a very important part of Christmas for me. As well as the special dinner on Christmas Eve and family traditions these are also great. And, since I have a son who for the first time this year is truly aware of all that is going on, Santa Clause is also a part of Christmas.
I truly appreciate the simple things in life, and especially appreciate them this time of year. To me, it is more important to be with my family and friends than it is to get one more new sweater or CD or any other gift. Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy buying gifts for people and receiving them as well. But, I like the togetherness too! My point is that simple things aren’t really things at all — but experiences and memories.
Some of my favorite simple things are:
- The smell of coffee brewing in the morning
- a warm shower
- a hug and kiss from my husband
- a hug from my son
- reading the Sunday newspaper
- practicing a song on the piano
- going to the library for story time and to choose books to read at home
- talking to my mother about a favorite tv show
- a home cooked meal
- seeing my son play with his grandpa
- reading my Bible that I got when I joined MOPS
- reading my grandfather’s writings
- looking at photos
- watching White Christmas and The Sound of Music and singing along to every song
I could go on and on, but that’s a good start. I have my routines and my favorite things to do, as I am sure we all do.
I wonder if you also have some favorite simple things. I hope that you do.